5 things that need to stop being taboo in this day and age!

16:20 Unknown 6 Comments



It's the year 2016, yet there are still people getting discriminated against for reasons that have no logic whatsoever...

I cannot fathom why there is still stigma in this day and age. Things that are completely normal, natural and so common are reasons why people are getting kicked down and made to feel isolated by the world.



Here are some taboos that I find ridiculous!:

1. Tattoos/ Piercings.

I may be wrong, but since when did a tattoo define how well we can work?

Anyone remember this lady who was turned away from her teaching role because her tattoos poked out from the clothing she wore to cover up?

Piercings, okay...They can be a health and safety risk. 
But if it's not a risk, why judge?


alan rickman shrug unsure i don't know dunno
(Side note - R.I.P Alan Rickman)


2. Sexuality / Gender

The fact I am having to point this out to the world right now is making me mad. Have we not got over the whole "Some people are gay" thing yet? 

Oh you're still stuck in the old ages?
It offends you? Your face offends me.

And don't even get me started on parents who disown their children because of it...
You carried this child for 9 months. Brought this amazing being into the world. Watched the child grow up to be a fine adult that always makes you proud.


It doesn't make you a bad parent that your child has expressed this.
It makes you a bad parent because their sex life determines your relationship with the child...

Just saying.

stupid burn insult the hangover ed helms


3. Mental Health stigma

If you have seen the previous post, you will know that this is something really close to home for me.

People shouldn't be ashamed by a mental illness.
It is a medical condition.

I'm not going to go far into the science but think about this...
Depression has been proven to shrink the hippocampus in the brain.

You are literally just shunning people for being ill.


sassy angry kingsley


4. Talking about sex and sexual health

So, in England it's a very taboo subject unless you are a bunch of teenagers. 

You don't talk about it with people.
If you do, you tend to have a label of being "crude".

Sex education starts around 11, just before we hit secondary school. Starting with the classic hits such as "Difference between boys and girls" and "Why you are starting to grow hair".
Not really sex education...More...Puberty 101.


Most people have sex...I don't see the big deal.

If we were more open about it, then sexual health would improve significantly.
I'm not talking about giving a play-by-play of your bedroom activities (unless that's your thing!) but just being more open to discussion with friends/family/siblings/your spouse.

I know some adults that are still uncomfortable using the word "Vagina" or "Penis".

It's anatomically correct. It's not rude. It's fact.

RuPaul's Drag Race S5 tv show rupauls drag race rupaul logo tv
(Yes, I love RuPaul)


5. Teenage parents

Confused? Let me break it down.

Whilst there should be more awareness to avoid teenagers ending up with a bun in the over, accidents happen.
That teenager now has a whole new life to think about and will have make decisions that grown adult struggle with:
  • How do I tell my parents?
  • How can I raise a child?
  • How can I finish school/college?
  • How can I work and pay for the child?
  • What if I get thrown out of my home, where will I live?
  • Will I have to live alone?
  • Will we be expected to get married?
  • What will my friends think?
  • Do we keep the child? Abortion? Adoption?
  • How can I cope with a baby?!
To have barely reached adulthood and have to make these choices...Honestly I applaud every teenage parent. You had the world glaring at you, and you persevered for the sake of your child. Your worries were completely rational.

What isn't rational, is those parents having to then worry about walking down the street.

You make comments about "Should have wrapped it up". It makes me mad. For all you know they took every precaution necessary. Do you even know if the reason she is pregnant is through consensual sex?
You don't know?

Then mind your damn business. 

love meryl streep mom amanda seyfried daughter


What stigma do you think should end in 2016???

6 comments :

  1. Depression DOES shrink the hippocampus, which regulates emotion among other things. So I agree STOP HATING ON PEOPLE WHO HAVE A MENTAL ILLNESS!!

    BTW-your gifs are hilarious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There's been a lot of research done on how different mental illnesses affect the brain, the hippocampus is just more known :) x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reminding us that things which Are Not To Be Talked About - should be talked about! This is a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely agree with this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 2016...I just don't understand holding onto discrimination that has 0 logic.

      Delete