I'm not being funny BUT...

18:58 Unknown 0 Comments




Edit - As I was writing this I had some backlash for even thinking about writing about what people have said. If someone thinks I am wrong for writing the following, let me know.
But I got a lot of "I'll get my lawyer on you", "bitch", "sly" "Shut the fuck up" "slag"...A little disagreement with a few people you could say. Luckily this stuff kinda bounces off me...but what about people that are subjected to it that it upsets? People have committed suicide for this kind of treatment...
*Sigh*
If you have me on twitter you may be able to see the conversation yourself and make-up your own mind about it. I'm not going to go into it because we are grown ass adults who can decide for ourselves.
End of the day, I will still stand up for mental health. It's the whole reason I started blogging. I don't want any drama. I didn't even know there was drama that came with blogging! (Naivety!) But, you get it in every field. I think I can dig out a post I wrote years ago regarding this. 
I'll try and hunt it out when I get a spare few minutes.


The moment I hear those words, I brace myself.

It does not give you a free pass to say whatever you want.

Now I don't know these people, I have no intention of naming them. It wouldn't be fair.


I make a habit of only following people I agree with or I get on well with.

And no, these are not aimed at me. I have no intention of naming them. It wouldn't be fair.


Mental illness is not funny...but it usually is an the insult that follows the lie.


For that reason I feel this kind of post is needed.


And that angers me.


I'm not being a bitch BUT...



They're right...It's not funny.
But this was posted publicly. 
Whether the person in question has mental illness or not...Why does that need to be broadcast? Saying it to egg on other people to insult that person?
If you have issues with that person than it's nothing to do with me, but I class this as bullying. If you were being genuine you could just drop a private message about your concerns. There is no need to start some public shaming event. 
And using mental health to do it?
No.
I may just be older than some of these people, I don't know.
However, I DO know that using mental illness as some kind of insult just adds to the very stigma we are trying to fight. Some people do suffer from it and keep it hidden for this EXACT reason.
I couldn't care less why you don't get on. That is nothing to do with me.
But having some "fun" debate on someone's health publicly for all to access???
Stop.


Speaking as a professional...


Oh, so that gives you the right to label people with it?
Here's something I learnt whilst studying::
Making a statement like that on a social media site can lead to you losing your job.
So either you are willing to risk your job just to join in, or you don't work as a health care professional.
Even if you are qualified, and you genuinely worry for this persons well-being...stating IN PUBLIC that you believe this..is wrong...

Some people actually joined in...


Now this gives a pretence of good intentions, but it makes my blood boil.
This conversation consists of three people, casually discussing someone's health status out in the open. Again, none of my business what argument these people have had. 

But let's look at this image they are presenting of good intentions:
If these people are so genuinely worried, why did they not contact the person?
Why have some public debate knowing everyone has access to the comments they make?
Saying someone may have Aspergers....What is the point they are making?
You see it as something that means the person is "extreme"?
Nothing is wrong with having mental illness.  Nothing is wrong with having aspergers.
Should someone choose to declare any health issues (physical or mental) it is their goddamn choice. You don't "out" someone. Period.
Some people will loudly declare their health status, some people don't.
It is not your information to give out.

I genuinely wonder...


This one upsets me because of the fact someone thought it was that amusing, they wanted to re-tweet it. Where do I even start!
Trying to claim you are being "genuine" by debating if someone has a personality disorder or not? What has it got to do with you?
To me, it is irrelevant whether they do or don't. That kind of debate is just wrong. I don't care if you've had an argument with someone, it's just a big no-no.
If you had an argument with someone, would you go to someone and publicly debate if they had cancer?
No??? Oh because that's wrong.
So why is it not wrong in regards to mental health?

And I have no idea what "winder" means...Maybe it means you typed and posted it without a second thought of the consequences.
"Any normal person" so you think people with personality disorders aren't normal?
What can normal people do that that person hasn't learnt?


I'm not a racist but...


Apparently, there has been an "uproar" about the casual racism used and the blogger has gone viral in Nigeria. I use the word apparently...I don't know.

But this was one of the first people to stand up and make it known it was a stupid comment.

Let me break it down...
The person's original post was referring to our charity project, but that's not relevant to this topic.
This guy didn't refer to the argument at all.
This guy stood up for what he believed.
This guy felt it was racist and disrespectful to make such a comment about Africa.
(Personal side note - Africa is a continent....Not a country...)
All it would have taken was an apology and stating that wasn't what was meant as multiple people stated.
The persons response - 
I'm not saying they meant it in a racist way at all, they're someone who doesn't believe in our project and that's their prerogative as an adult. However, their response is an echo of this same belief that if we state we aren't, then people won't get offended. They had multiple people voice the fact they found it racist and the response was so disrespectful. However whilst I agree with people standing up for what they believe, I don't agree with people who have been sending this person abuse.
Standing up for bullying by bullying someone else...Just going round in circles.

As Gandhi said :
"An eye for an eye will just make the whole world blind"



I'm not a bully but...

Don't mean to be rude...

Not being nasty like, but...

I'm not against gay people but...

I get they're depressed but...

I'm not being sexist but...

I'm not being funny but...

I know they're ill but...

I get they have their religion but...

Not against trans but...

I'm all for equal rights but...

This is what we have come to? Using these words as some kind of shield? 
If you think it may offend, take a minute to think.
Ask yourself why you are having to declare you aren't like that.
"So I don't offend people" isn't a reason.

Here's how I deal with it:
- Mute people. I mute people all the time, especially the people that post every 5 minutes.
- Don't be afraid to hit block. Be unashamed if they make comments regarding the block. It is your choice what you see on social media, you don't owe them anything. You especially do not owe them your time to allow them to offend you. Get friendly with the block button. Hell, I block like it's going out of fashion. If I don't know someone, and a diplomatic conversation can't be had, just block!
-Contact someone. If you have an issue, or someone has an issue with you, try and reach out. If they don't respond or try and start arguments, hit that block button! At least you can honestly say you have tried to sort the issue diplomatically.

I will leave you guys with this:

Next time you catch yourself about to use this phrase, just stop.
Consider the consequences. No-one likes dirty laundry.
How are we going to reach equality for everyone if arguing is our default setting?
I was always taught not everyone will like you. It's not human nature, we won't always get along. Your opinion may not be my opinion, but that's okay. However, attacking people isn't.

Get those modern day hippie feels!

Life is too short to just argue and spout hate at people!

Quick note - All posts used in this post were posted in public and nothing has been taken from a private source.

0 comments :