Bloggers Take on Africa backlash

17:16 Unknown 2 Comments


First of all, I'm not going to lie here...but the #BloggerstakeonAfrica project may be getting cancelled already after only a few weeks of planning.

Not because African Impact pulled out.

Not because we changed our minds (We're gutted!)

Not because of support issues (And those of you that supported us, if it does get cancelled your money will be returned as there was no bank account tied to the gofundme page...it will be refunded don't worry...you can always send it straight to a charity)

But because of hate.

It frustrates me.
And whilst I'm not about to join in the slanging match that appears to be happening to some of the other members (I've seen some people accuse one girl of having a personality disorder...Biting my lip for now, not cool guys)...I feel like I should just be peace keeper and clear up some misconceptions since people have been very vocal about their assumptions.

Also I hope this will defuse the comments, the negativity and hopefully give some answers. If I haven't answered a question, feel free to inbox me...we can't seem to find what the issue is.

(I did try to contact some people for information, but I have received no replies as of yet...however that could just be a twitter setting. The people that have responded had their questions answered)

Here's a few answers to some statements I've seen made -


"Just funding people to go on holiday?"

If I wanted to go on holiday, I would choose to go to Cyprus.
I've always wanted to go to Cyprus. Get a nice tan, have some amazing cocktails and just relax.
When was the last time you worked for the full duration of a holiday?
The idea is to go over there, make a difference and document the experience to show people the reality of it all. It will be hard work.
I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.
For those who don't know what this is, basically my joints are rubbish and I experience chronic pain.
I want to go to Africa to help others despite this. The plan we arranged with African Impact is that a team of us can go over and WORK. Not to sit back and watch people suffering.


"Why don't they just give the money to charity?"

Okay, this is a pet hate of mine. Yes we can all send money into a charity and feel like we did something. Giggle as we do the ice bucket challenge. Grow a moustache for movember.
(I think these are a great way to raise awareness, but if you do it and not give any money to the charity...What was the point?)
What would you do if a friend begged you for help? Throw money at them? Throw ice water on your head? Show them your amazing moustache?
To go over and personally help the people of Africa instead of just sending money their way is something I've always wanted to do. Whilst money raised will go towards funding this project, a lot of money will also be going to the charity. We are also personally putting our money in this account rather than just keeping it to one side. It helps us to have one place to put it all. Any money raised over the minimum required for funding will go to the charity of course.
If people don't agree with the way we have organised this, that's fine...However, this is going to be a project organised by the participants, at any point people can message us and give us advice or request information. The money on the go fund me page is basically what the cost is for the whole trip. Many members of the team have also put in some money. It's just a way we can see how far we have to reach our goal.


"They will only pay for the bungee jump themselves?"

Okay, that must have been bad wording on my previous post and I apologise.

Before I continue I'm going to request you do NOT come onto my blog and twist things I have said without requesting the truth. This blog is important to me, it is dedicated to a life lost. You have the ability to contact me in 100 different ways. You could leave a comment to ask for clarification. But contact me before you assume.

All I meant was we would raise the funds individually. If it happens, I plan on getting sponsors so that doing it isn't just some recreational activity. I'm terrified of the idea of bungee jumping after seeing a video of one go wrong. But if I get sponsors, pay for the jump myself then I know that I'm doing it for charity only. Seriously I will scream bloody murder...I may throw up or pass out...But if I knew I was doing it to raise money for a good cause, I would do it. 


"Why have so many people dropped out of the project?"

We thought this project would get a lot of support and possibly bring in more volunteers. However, many were not prepared with the backlash we received. I haven't personally received any insults, but I've seen some of the members be accused of mental illness (Sickens me that humanity has reached the stage where accusing someone of mental illness is now a "funny" way to insult someone).

Guys, it's not cool.
It's going too far.

The reason people have dropped out of this project is because they do not want to get personally attacked. Or other people are claiming it is a scam and they become confused and unsure. Or they had their own personal reasons (Work, family etc) As I have previously stated, there is no bank account tied to the funding account as of yet due to it being a year away. Each member has the log in details to access the different information and profiles. 

Edit - as rightfully noted, some people took issue with the company "African Impact" due their work with ALERT. Due to this, we are in the process of finding a different project to join, hopefully still in Africa and we're now making sure we thoroughly research potential projects.

If people make comments to me, it won't make me back out. The only way I would back out is if this project gets cancelled due to the backlash or if my health makes it so I wouldn't cope. Even if my EDS wouldn't allow me to go, I would still back this project.


"Why did the amount get lowered on the GoFundMe page?"

As above, with less members, it means less money is required. We could have left the original amount up and given the rest to charity, but some people were very vocal about the amount being so high.
All due respect, the money isn't going towards a holiday, or the latest make-up or fashion. It's going to people less fortunate. We personally get to help them.


"Why did the GoFundMe page close then?"

With some people dropping out, and some people throwing insults left right and centre, it was  recently decided to take it down. All donations have been refunded. We are currently deciding if we push for this to happen as a project or not. We could still go, but not have it as a project. But trying to make it a project has awarded many of the members with nothing but insult. For such a good cause, it's very discouraging to have to deal with such comments.

Edit - Just to note, since we are restarting the whole thing...there's no point having one up whilst we have no definite informtion.


"There's no information about x,y or z"

This frustrates me for the pure reason that people saying it have ignored each members attempts to contact and find the information they feel is missing. The main people have not responded to us, but like I said, it could be a setting they have. The people that have taken their time to respond or contact us have made us aware of bits of information they felt was missing.

Okay, our error, but guys...if you don't tell us the problem, we don't know there is one!

The main issue people are clinging onto is the fact we hadn't published the charity number. African Impact is the organisation that sorts out the work, the charity the funds go to and makes sure we are safe.

1122529 - The Happy Africa Foundation...one of the charities that African Impact work with.

People are also stating we have given no destinations. We have multiple times, however...I'll repeat as a good gesture...

Livingstone, Zambia for the first two weeks.
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe for the second two weeks.


"Only 2k is given to charity?"

No.

The cost for each member includes contribution to charity also. We are also going over to personally help. The extra 2k at the end of the cost per team member was purely for us to raise some money for the charity. It's the money that won't be used for the trip at all. We came to the figure of 48 thousand for all 20 of us for all 4 weeks. We rounded it up to 50k so we could have lee-way so if the amount goes over 48k we have extra money to donate to the charity.

"They support torturing animals!"

What even? We want to go to Africa to help. First two weeks we help the people, second two weeks we help the lions.
You know...Lion conservation...Their population is declining guys....
Let me break it down - We will go over and help young lions prepare for their release into the wild. We PROTECT them.

Edit - I would just delete that, but I feel like that would be trying to cover up my mistake. Some people that have contacted us have showed us the links that we didn't find when doing our own research, and for that I personally apologise. I have been sent a list of well known volunteering opportunities and ones that are blacklisted and these have been shared with the team. (Thanks for that list btw!)

"Fake profiles" - Uhm...what? I will happily speak to someone who believes I am not real. I can put up a youtube video...but I believe there's already one on my youtube of me falling on my ass! If it's necessary then of course I will.

Threats to contact the police - This one didn't bother us. We have all the documents to prove this is genuine...But I'm noting it because I found it hilarious.
"Hello 999? Someone's trying to volunteer in Africa for charity!"
Edit - now we are no longer going with African Impact, I guess this is a moot point.

Contacting the GoFundMe page - Someone reported the page. So the staff at GoFundMe contacted African Impact to make sure they were genuine. They contacted us with some suggestions...

People thinking it costs too much - We could just go without African Impact, I completely agree. But I wouldn't. Why? Well because with African Impact we have insurance, injections, visas (You know...so we can actually go and work) we are safe, we have a roof over our heads and we have training to be able to volunteer. If we went without African Impact, we wouldn't have all of this. They ensure our safety and the safety of the residents and animals.


Edit - We are looking into other organisations that still protect ourselves and the residents.

Although I refuse to be caught up in the arguments and the personal attacks, I will say one thing:



It's gone too far!

It is absolutely none of my business if you have issues with a team member. However, I really think this needs to stop. You don't believe it's genuine and that's your opinion. But by making nasty comments about the team members because of it is uncalled for. We are all so excited to have this opportunity and the comments have bewildered me. The mention of cancelling the project called up so many people to be like "haha told you so"...Okay, so you've won by bullying the way for potential charity event to not go ahead before we've even had a chance to finish organising it? Well, done.


Please, just stop.

I will be making another post directed straight at a particular few due to it not being as relevant to the topic.
In fact, I'm going to go ahead and say it....Some comments made had nothing to do with this topic and were just disgusting.
Quick edit - I will not be naming people as some have assumed, it is purely comments made that I believe were wrong.

So this is the declaration of peace.

Stop the personal attacks.
If you are unsure about something, contact us!

Stop grabbing the pitchforks, let us at least work towards proving you wrong.

2 comments :

  1. Ok let me start by saying this. I have nothing against any of the bloggers that were involved in this. My objection was not because of "hate". My objections was due to the fact that it claimed to be helping lions. Yes lion populations are in decline but these lion farms do nothing to help conservation. Please let me explain why:

    African Impact are partnered with ALERT. ALERT run a lion breeding business and the owner runs more than one trophy hunting business. Walking and petting lion cubs is the first step that evenutally leads to their death, either by canned hunting, illness or slow death in a cramped cage.

    ALERT claims it's about conservation yet in 10 years it has not released on lion. Not one in ten years. Do date they have sold 39 Lions to canned hunting. If you are unaware canned hunting is where lions are places in an enclosed space to be shot by wealthy trophy hunters. This is not a fair hunt. They have no chance to escape and usually die a slow painful death as these hunters are not skilled. They are usually amateurs who want to fly in one day and bring home a trophy the next. They pay thousands for this priveage so you can see lion farming is not a charity. It's a business.

    The most sought after trophies are males with large manes. Those who are not suited are left in crowded pens with no stimulation. Lion cubs that have been hand reared and bottle fed are rarely suitable for release as they tend not to fear humans and the risk of attack on livestock and the public are much higher.

    You can find out more about the livingstone lions here in this article:

    https://www.facebook.com/notes/eyes-on-africa/re-lion-encounter-in-livingstone/343040307015?hc_location=ufi

    and here:

    http://www.fodors.com/community/africa-the-middle-east/lion-encounterwalk-with-lions-etc-update.cfm

    Here is a more recent article. You can read the comments. Some are from ex-volunteers who were shocked at how the cubs and adults were treated.

    http://africageographic.com/blog/walking-with-lions-good-conservation-probably-not/

    Finally Alert (african Impacts partners) has also been blacklisted here because of the "forced breeding and exploitation of lions"

    https://www.facebook.com/notes/849870441727120/

    So you can see that not all backlash is because of "hate". People just don't want see more money being feed into this seedy cruel business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this information! I couldn't find this kind of stuff, just good reviews about it!

      Mentioned it to the girls, we were debating changing who we were going with anyway and after reading that information I'm not as clued up as I thought!

      So yeah, think we're going to refresh the whole thing and find a project just working with the people not with African Impact.

      Delete